Monday, March 29, 2010

My Papa's 80th Birthday

This past weekend was my host-father’s 80th birthday! The entire family went out for lunch (the main meal of the day – think Sunday dinner) at a little restaurant south of the city and across the road from the beach. We had the whole restaurant to ourselves, and the food was delicious – salad, potatoes with bacalao, spinach bread, alioli, ribs with honey, veggies, fried potatoes, rice and, of course, cake. I have included a bunch of pictures of my family. The first one is of my Mama and Papa and their daughter, Maria Sue giving Papa a kiss. The second one is of all of their grandchildren (and me...). The third one is with their five kids, and the fourth one is with all of their children-in-law. My Mama's neice, her two grown sons and the girlfriend of one of the sons also came. Fortunately, I had already met most of the family - all of the children, in-laws, and most of the grandkids, so I only had to meet the neice, her family, and the boyfriends of some of the granddaughters, which meant that I didn't have any trouble with names or getting people confused, which was nice.
The party was a typical family gathering - really loud, everyone catching up on everyone else's lives, seating according to age (fortunately, there were 8 other people between the ages of 16 and 30, so I had lots of company), children being embarrassed by their parents, etc. It felt like a cross between Thanksgiving dinner, Sunday dinner at the lake, and a wedding reception. It was really fun to be able to be part of it, but it also made me miss home a lot! I love you and miss you guys a lot!
For the next two weeks, I will be traveling in Norway and Italy, so my next post will be some time after April 11. Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment